Colorado Companies Uniting Against Racism
B:CIVIC Newsletter Announcement 7.16.2020
“As a society, we must have zero tolerance for racism. As business leaders, we have a defining role to play. We fervently believe that we must champion what’s right and stand for justice … We believe we owe it to our employees, our clients and shareholders and to each other – as human beings – to help make our businesses and communities real examples of inclusivity and equality.”
– Jandel Allen-Davis of Craig Hospital, Robert Cohen of The IMA Financial Group, Laura Love of GroundFloor Media, & Paul Washington of Rocky Mountain Region of JLL
Because words are not enough, Jandel, Rob, Laura and Paul have stepped forward to establish a CEO pledge of action. Companies pledging to Colorado Companies Uniting Against Racism are committing to develop action steps over the next six months, for their companies to combat racism by listening, learning and leading more effectively as companies. Founding committed companies include Ball Corporation, Craig Hospital, Delta Dental of Colorado, GroundFloor Media | CenterTable, HSS, IMA Financial Group, the Rocky Mountain Region of JLL, Prosono, RK, Sage Hospitality Group and Xcel Energy.
By committing to the pledge, companies commit to:
- Listen to understand the needs of your internal and external stakeholders and work together to advance equity
- Educate yourselves and educate and equip your employees to advance equity in the workplace
- Improve practices for recruiting, hiring and advancing employees of color in your company
- Encourage diversity and partnerships in your business relationships, and encourage your partners and vendors to embrace diversity in the workforce
- Donate funds to support organizations addressing racial injustice and advancing equity
- Vote and encourage your employees to vote as well
- Actively work with and support minority-owned businesses in your community
- Join and partner with community-based organizations advancing racial equity
*We understand companies might no be able to take all the action steps at this time and encourage companies to take as many action steps as feasible initially.
We, along with the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce, Prosper Colorado, Inclusive Economy and the Downtown Denver Partnership, are supporting Colorado companies to deliver on these commitments by providing resources.
We are holding companies accountable and will have companies report on their actions in six months. Those actions will be published by B:CIVIC. As one example, IMA Financial Group, is committing to mandatory DEI training for all employees this year.
Learn more about the CEO Pledge and join Colorado companies uniting against racism.
Resources for You and Your Company: A resource hub for companies seeking to advance racial and social justice is now available on the B:CIVIC site.
Upcoming Virtual Events: Join B:CIVIC and community members for upcoming virtual events.
Telling Your CSR Story, July 30, Noon – 1 p.m.
The Civic 50: A Guide for Leading Social Impact in your Community and Company, July 31, 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
The Intersection of HR & CSR, Aug. 5, 4 – 5:30 p.m.
CSR Peer Roundtable, Aug. 16, 8 – 9 a.m.