Thank you to our speakers for sharing their expertise, best practices and ways to engage employees virtually with volunteering:
- Demesha Hill, Community Relations Manager, Janus Henderson Investors, and Managing Director, Janus Henderson Foundation
- Chris Jarvis, CSO, Realized Worth
Access the slides here: B:CIVIC: Virtual Volunteering Slides
Resources Mentioned and Shared:
- Access B:CIVIC’s open-source virtual volunteering list in Google docs here
- Realized Worth’s Resources:
- TutorMate: TutorMate is an online volunteer program designed to support literacy learning in grade one classrooms. The program uses interactive technology to create an integrated online experience that connects corporate volunteers and first grade students.
- Mile High United Way: Local organization focused on individual and corporate volunteer opportunities. They are actively in need of volunteers to support local nonprofits during this time and their 2-1-1 program.
- Denver Public Schools Foundation: Currently looking into opportunities.
- Florence Crittenton: Several volunteer opportunities including virtual storytime.
- Hunger Free Colorado: There are many ways to get involved in the fight against hunger! Hunger Free Colorado and other organizations are currently looking for volunteers on a number of important initiatives and projects including their food resource hotline.
- Wish of a Lifetime: Join thousands of individuals fighting to end senior isolation. Our volunteers in Denver and across the country help make lasting changes in the lives of our elders.
- Crisis Text Line: Crisis Text Line is the free, 24/7 text line for people in crisis in the United States. The service is powered by volunteer Crisis Counselors who work remotely — anywhere with a computer and secure internet connection works.
- Colorado’s Children Hospital: Volunteers are present at key points in each patient’s stay. They are the ones greeting and orienting newly-admitted families. They plan and host many of the extracurricular events that allow patients to get crafty, creative and forget, if only briefly, why they are at Children’s Colorado. Other volunteers work behind the scenes providing administrative support and helping our hospital run more smoothly. There are also opportunities to volunteer at La Cache, a volunteer-run antique shop that benefits Children’s Colorado.
- Freedom Service Dogs: Several off-site opportunities including puppy-raising club, fostering opportunities, speakers bureau, special events, research projects, donation drives, third-party fundraisers, and more.
- Zooniverse: Is the world’s largest and most popular platform for people-powered research. This research is made possible by volunteers. With its wide-ranging and ever- expanding suite of projects, covering many disciplines and topics across the sciences and humanities, there’s a place for anyone and everyone to explore, learn and have fun in the Zooniverse. To volunteer with Zooniverse, just go to the Projects page, choose the one you like the look of, and get started. Directly access their projects page.
- Helper Helper*: Online searchable volunteer platform, that does have virtual volunteer options. This links you to their DIY virtual volunteering ideas page.
- Kyndhub*: An online platform and mobile app promoting gratitude, volunteering, and intentional acts of kyndness. You can also order a Kyndkit to do at home.
- Spark the Change Colorado*: Statewide organization focused on individual and corporate volunteer opportunities. They are actively in need of volunteers to support local nonprofits during this time. They have a virtual volunteer opportunity, you can find by searching “Kind Connection Telephone Volunteer.”
Organizations that Support Remote Volunteering:
- Cuso International: An innovative e-volunteering program connects volunteers to international partners remotely with projects ranging from graphic design to business development and more.
- Amnesty Decoders: An innovative platform for volunteers around the world to use their computers or phones to help our researchers sift through pictures, information and documents for human rights.
- iCouldBe: Currently accepting applications for mentors for the upcoming school year. It is meant to connect the energy and expertise of mentors from various professions with the most vulnerable students in the U.S. educational system.
- MicroMentor: Matches small business owners with volunteer business mentors to create powerful connections, solve problems, and build successful businesses together
- Missing Maps: An open, collaborative project in which you can help to map areas where humanitarian organizations are trying to meet the needs of vulnerable people. Each year, disasters around the world kill nearly 100,000 and affect or displace 200 million people. Many of the places where these disasters occur are literally ‘missing’ from any map and first responders lack the information to make valuable decisions regarding relief efforts.
Virtual Volunteer Aggregators Mentioned:
Revere Software*: Offers a private-labeled, online platform that connects in-house experts (as skills-based volunteers) with knowledge-seeking partners and grantees.
VolunteerMatch: Online searchable volunteer platform, that does have virtual volunteer options.
- Taproot+: A new marketplace for short-term, individual pro bono consulting projects, curated by the Taproot Foundation. Many of these volunteer projects can be completed remotely.
Catchafire: Uses their website to match professionals with nonprofits based on their skills, cause interest and time availability. You’ll find tons of skills-based volunteering opportunities, many of which can be completed virtually.
- Prepr: Empowers individuals and teams to build both soft and hard skills by tackling real-world challenges to create business opportunities and unlock their infinite learning potential.
- MovingWorlds: MovingWorlds builds the leaders and doers behind grassroots, world-changing ideas. Their mission is to support the UN Sustainable Development Goals by getting talent to the parts of the world that need it most while ensuring a transformative experience for those who share their skills.
United Nations Volunteers: Online platform connects volunteers with organizations working for sustainable human development. Volunteers contribute their skills online to help organizations address development challenges.
- Forgood: An online platform that connects passionate people with needy organisations. It is a social marketplace where skills, goods, services, and information can easily be offered and asked for.