B:CIVIC promotes and advances business philanthropy and community involvement for the betterment of communities across the State of Colorado.
- Develop a culture in Colorado where all businesses and business associations know that investing in the community is a smart, viable business strategy;
- Be a strong and effective voice showcasing and inspiring business engagement throughout Colorado;
- Increase the resources (including dollars, time, and in kind) invested by companies in support of local causes and community organizations;
- Serve as a strategic forum and meeting place to bring Colorado businesses of all sizes and levels of experience together to share knowledge and expertise about effective community engagement strategies and programming; and
- Create an enabling environment for collective impact so that businesses and community organizations can engage effectively together to address critical local needs.
We provide resources, events and materials to help enhance or develop innovative community involvement programs. We facilitate best practice exchanges, bring innovative speakers to the table, and help business leaders find new ways to boost their philanthropic involvement for the good of the community and their business.
OUR MEMBERS OVERVIEW
B:CIVIC members are from companies of all sizes from small shops to Fortune 500 companies with thousands of Colorado employees. We are committed to offering a wide range of programs that are of value and meet the varied needs of our members – from those just getting involved in the community to those that have long term and well-established programs.
For the purposes of membership dues, we use the following member category distinctions based on the number of employees a company has in Colorado.
ENTREPRENEURIAL = 1-50 employees
SMALL = 51-100 employees
MEDIUM = 101-500 employees
LARGE = Over 500 employees
Chambers and foundations are a unique category that does not go by the number of employees.
The charts below show the rough percentage breakdown of our current 2017 membership.
B:CIVIC is born from the storied efforts of Denver’s 2% Club. The 2% Club was an informal coalition of CEOs who agreed to support and promote charitable giving through their company, and to encourage other companies and executives to get involved in the community. The 2% Club in Denver was modeled after the 5% Club in Minneapolis, later known as the Keystone Club, whose mission was to promote philanthropic giving in the community.
The 2% Club was started in 1990 at the Piton Foundation by three well known community business leaders: Bill Coors, Sam Gary and Jim Bye. These three outstanding gentlemen recognized the importance of business involvement and wanted to encourage others to experience the personal and business rewards of giving back to the community. Later the 2% Club moved to be housed at the Adolph Coors Family Foundation and run by Foundation staff Sally Rippey and Jeanne Bistranin.
In 2009, before the economic recession, a group of Metro Denver business and foundation thought leaders met to plan the next generation of the 2% Club as a new organization that would be called B:CIVIC (Businesses Committed to Investing and Volunteering in the Community.) In light of the recession, plans were put on hold until 2013.
In 2013, after a market research survey to asses the viability of an organization dedicated solely to business community involvement, it was decided to move ahead and found B:CIVIC as a Colorado nonprofit corporation and apply for 501(c)3 designation from the IRS, which was subsequently received in February 2016.
B:CIVIC would not exist if it weren’t for the incredible support from the following companies and organizations:
- The Denver Foundation generously provided seed funding and served as B:CIVIC’s fiscal sponsor while we were applying for our 501(c)(3) approval, which was received in 2016.
- Fourteen companies and corporate foundations with a deep commitment to business involvement in the community worked together to serve as Founding Board of Directors and shepherd the development of B:CIVIC to meet the needs of companies of all sizes and industries. Their tireless support and top-of-the-line expertise served as the foundation of our organization.